This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Wadley Estate in Allen, Texas in 1990.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1¼ pounds small thin skinned potatoes scrubbed and halved
- 1 small white onion cut in half
- 1 small carrot quartered
- ½ cup garlic cloves peeled
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- ¼ cup butter cut in small chunks
- 4 pound roasting chicken
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place potatoes cut side down, onion, carrot and garlic cloves in a rectangular baking pan.
- Sprinkle with rosemary and dot with butter.
- Rinse chicken inside and out then pat dry and place breast side up atop vegetables.
- Roast uncovered in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes then brush chicken with pan juices and return to oven.
- Continue to roast basting often for 45 minutes.
- Tilt chicken to drain juices from cavity into pan.
- Transfer chicken, potatoes and half the garlic to a platter and keep warm.
- Scrape onion, carrot, remaining garlic and pan juices into a blender and process until smoothly pureed adding enough broth to make a pourable sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper then pour sauce into a small serving bowl.
- Serve chicken and vegetables with sauce.