- 6 medium beets (3 lbs), scrubbed
- ¾ cup shelled or chopped walnuts or pecans (scant 4 oz.)
- 4 bunches fresh arugula
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp thawed frozen apple juice concentrate
- ⅓ cup finely chopped shallots (2 medium)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ⅓ cup olive or vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment or foil.
- Pierce beets with a skewer or fork.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and roast until tender when pierced with tip of sharp knife, 1¼ to 1½ hours.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Keep oven on.
- Spread nuts in small baking pan and bake until fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Let cool; chop coarsely if necessary.
- Trim, rinse and dry arugula, then tear into bite-size pieces.
- In medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, juice concentrate, shallots, salt and pepper.
- Gradually whisk in oil.
- Spoon half of dressing (about ⅓ cup) into small jar or bowl and set aside.
- When beets are cool enough to handle, peel and cut each one into 8 or 12 wedges.
- Add to dressing in bowl and toss well to coat (if desired, marinate beets, covered, in the refrigerator up to 2 days) to serve
- In large salad bowl, toss arugula, marinated beets and reserved dressing.
- Sprinkle with toasted nuts and serve.