Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Mason Estate in Abbott, Texas in 1999.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 4 medium size red beets, greens removed
- 2 medium size white onions cut in half and thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup canned chopped tomatoes with their juices
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Wrap beets securely in two layers of aluminum foil and place on the middle shelf in the oven and roast for 2 hours.
- Remove from oven and unwrap.
- When beets are cool enough to handle use a sharp knife to peel them and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan combine beets with the onions, cabbage, tomatoes, and broth then season with kosher salt.
- Place over medium high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat then partially cover the saucepan and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add vinegar and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Serve in preheated soup bowls.