This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Wadley Estate in Allen, Texas in 1990.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 pounds boneless pork loin
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 4 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 pounds small new potatoes peeled and quartered
- 3 medium tart green apples peeled cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat the oil in an 8 quart flameproof casserole over moderate heat for 1 minute.
- Add pork and brown on all sides.
- Remove pork and set aside.
- Add onion to the casserole and sauté, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cabbage, potatoes, apples, sugar, salt, pepper, wine and vinegar.
- Bring to a simmer then return pork to the casserole.
- Transfer casserole to the oven and bake uncovered for 1½ hours.