Roast Lemon Chicken with Spring Vegetables
This recipe serves:
1 whole chicken, 6 to 8 pounds
2 tablespoons chopped, fresh rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
2 cloves garlic, crushed
freshly ground black pepper
12 small red Bliss potatoes, halved
16 baby carrots, washed and halved
1 pound snap peas
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 400�F.
2. Rinse the chicken with cold water and pat dry it dry with paper towels.
3. Grate the zest of the lemon and mix it with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the
rosemary and garlic. Sprinkle the mixture evenly in the cavity of the
the lemon in half, squeeze 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice on the outside
of the bird and put the lemon halves inside the bird.
4. Place the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan. Sprinkle it with salt and
5. Place the chicken in the oven. After 15 minutes turn the heat down to
350�F and continue roasting the chicken.
6. When the chicken has been in the oven for a total of 45 minutes, combine
the potatoes, carrots and peas together in a bowl. Add the remaining
and the olive oil and toss to combine. Put just the potatoes (they take
longer) on a baking sheet and place it on the rack below the chicken.
7. After the potatoes have roasted for 15 minutes, add the remaining
vegetables to the potatoes. Continue to roast the chicken and the vegetables
until the chicken juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a knife
and the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes more. (If the chicken and
are not fully cooked at exactly the same time, remove the cooked item and
keep warm, while the other finishes cooking.)
8. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and let it rest for about 10
minutes. Remove and discard the skin. Carve the chicken and serve it with
Serving Size: about 6 ounces chicken
~To the world you might be one person, but to one person, you could be the world.~