Makes 6 servings.
- 1 roasting chicken (3½ to 5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup uncooked U.S. arborio or medium-grain rice
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon powdered saffron or saffron threads crushed to powder*
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Roast chicken, following your favorite recipe.
- About 30 minutes before serving time, melt butter in 2 to 3-quart saucepan.
- Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes. Do not let it brown.
- Stir in rice and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the grains glisten and are somewhat opaque.
- Add wine and cook until it almost evaporates.
- Stir in broth, salt and saffron. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in cheese.
- If desired, pack into 6 buttered individual molds or custard cups.
- Unmold onto serving plates with chicken.