This bold poultry-based dish is similar to the original roast chicken. A sour, fresh combination of lemon and chicken is made and packed with real herbs, enhanced with yogurt, and roasted to red-hot perfection. You can cook this with other herbs in the chicken on other occasions.
- herb lemon rub
- 1 tbsp. chopped rosemary, sage, and thyme leaves, stem reserved
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice, cold only
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 6 pounds roasting chicken, with the skin removed and reserved if desired
- garlic-flavored cooking spray
- Heat an oven to 350° F. Line a roasting pan with the aluminium foil.
- Grease a rack that fits in a pan. Put ingredients in a lardge bowl and stir until blended.
- Fill the chicken's body cavity with reserved herb stems and lemon juice.
- Tie legs together and tuck wing tips under the back. Rub herb mixture all over the chicken. Place on a rack in a pan and roast, spraying every 30 minutes, with garlic cooking spray for 2 hours or until cooked through.
- Transfer to a cutting board. Untie legs; let chicken rest 10 minutes before carving.
- Then transfer chicken to a platter. Serve hot and plain over rice or with other main dishes.