Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Rice and beans - A Haitian favourite
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans
- 1½ teaspoons salt, divided
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 to 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
- 1 green pepper, cored, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- In a large sieve or colander, wash the beans under running water until the draining water runs clear.
- Transfer them to a heavy 3- or 4-quart saucepan.
- Add ½ teaspoon of the salt and the ground black pepper.
- Pour in 6 cups of the water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, 1½ hours or until the beans are tender but intact.
- Drain the beans and reserve the cooking liquid.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat the vegetable oil.
- Add the garlic, green pepper, green onion, parsley, pepper, salt and cloves.
- Sauté about 5 minutes.
- Add the beans and stir until heated through.
- Watch carefully for any sign of burning.
- Set aside.
- Measure out the bean cooking liquid and add enough water to make 4 cups.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- When it is very hot, but not smoking, add the rice and stir 1–2 minutes, or until the grains turn somewhat milky and opaque.
- Stir in the 4 cups of reserved liquid and water, the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt and more ground black pepper to taste.
- Bring to a hard boil.
- Reduce the heat, add the cooked bean mixture, cover tightly and reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting.
- Simmer 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary with salt and pepper.
- Fluff the rice and beans with a fork and serve hot.