Makes 6 servings.
- ½ pound sweet Italian sausage, crumbled
- ½ pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup uncooked u.s. arborio or medium-grain rice
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ground white pepper to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Cook sausage in large skillet over medium heat.
- Remove from skillet; drain on paper towels.
- Set aside.
- Cook shrimp in 2 tablespoons butter until it turns pink.
- Remove from skillet; set aside.
- Cook onion until soft in remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
- Add rice and stir 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add wine; stir until absorbed.
- Increase heat to medium high; stir in 1 cup broth.
- Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until broth is absorbed.
- Continue stirring and adding remaining 1 cup broth and 3 cups water, allowing each cup to be absorbed before adding another, until rice is tender and mixture has a creamy consistency.
- It will take approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, pepper, cream, and reserved sausage and shrimp.
- Stir until mixture is creamy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.