Makes 6 servings.
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup uncooked U.S. arborio or medium-grain rice
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and ground white pepper to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Cook peas and mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter in large skillet over medium heat several minutes. Remove vegetables; set aside.
- Cook onion in remaining 1 tablespoon butter until soft.
- Add rice and stir 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add wine; stir until absorbed. Increase heat to medium high; stir in 1 cup broth.
- Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until broth is absorbed.
- Continue stirring and adding remaining 1 cup broth and 3 cups water, allowing each cup to be absorbed before adding another, until rice is tender and mixture has a creamy consistency. It will take approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, seasonings, cream, and reserved vegetables.
- Stir until mixture is creamy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately