For the Pastry Edit
- 400g. (3c + 2T) plain flour
- ½ tsp.salt
- 200 ml. (6.8 fluid oz) cold water
- 125 - 50g. (1/2-1/4 c) margarine , or lard , or butter
For Filling Edit
- Mix the sieved flour and salt with approximately 200ml. of cold water into a soft pliable but not sticky dough, knead well leave to rest for about 90 minutes.
- When rested, roll stretch and pull the dough on a floured surface, into long strips, spread half the fat over the entire lenth of dough, first with a palette knife then with clean hands, take one end of the dough and roll it up like a swiss roll, make it uneven turning it tightly sometimes then more loosely, rest it in the frig.
- Repeat the rolling and sometimes so that the roll is once more a long strip, spread the remaining fat, roll it up again like a swiss roll this time in a different direction from the first roll, all these rolling enhance the flakiness of the finished pastry, rest it again.
- Mash the ricotta with the salt and pepper , add the beaten eggs , cut off pieces of dough the size of a small ball with a sharp knife, pull out each piece with your fingers like a thin disc.
- Place a spoonful of ricotta mixture in the center, close the dough around it and seal the edge with your fingers, place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake on 200'c / 400'f /gas 6. for 25 minutes or till golden