My parents own a traditionally-run sheep farm in the Falkland Islands. Cruise ship tourists come to visit and enjoy the experience. I cook this chocolate cake for my mum to serve to her visitors.
- 170 g (6 oz) (3/4 cup) butter
- 110 g (4 oz) (1/2 cup) sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk
- 2 drops of vanilla extract (optional)
- 170 g (6 oz) (1&3/4 cup) plain flour
- 55 g (2 oz) (1/2c) cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Melt the butter, sugar, syrup and milk over a low heat.
- Once melted add the flour, cocoa, baking powder and bicarb.
- Stir well and pour into a greased tin (I pour into two loaf tins but one larger tin is fine).
- Cook for 1 hour on 180°C / gas 4 / 350°F.
- Test with a skewer - if the mixtures sticks then cook for a little longer.