- ½ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup green or sweet red pepper
- 1 tbsp margarine
- 1½ tsp fresh snipped basil (or ½ tsp crushed dried basil )
- ⅛ tsp ground red pepper
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- fresh basil leaves or lime slices (optional)
- In a small saucepan cook onion and green or sweet red pepper in margarine till very tender.
- Stir in basil and ground red pepper, if desired.
- Cook and stir for 1 minutes more.
- Remove from heat.
- In a blender container combine cooked vegetable mixture, tomato juice and buttermilk.
- Cover and blend till smooth.
- Return mixture to saucepan and heat through.
- Or, chill thoroughly.
- Garnish each serving with fresh basil leaves or lime slices.