Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 2½ lbs chicken legs
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 medium onion, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into thick diagonal slices
- 2 stalks celery, chopped with leaves
- ½ fresh pumpkin, peeled, cut in serving pieces
- 3 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 firm green plantains, sliced thick rounds
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled
- 2 white yams, quartered
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 3 shallots, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ small cabbage, shredded
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- Rub chicken with lime juice.
- Chop the peeled tomatoes.
- Make a marinade out of the onion, green pepper, celery, shallots, tomatoes, poultry seasoning, nutmeg, cumin, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Mix with the chicken and refrigerate for twenty-four hours.
- Scrape the marinade from the chicken legs.
- Simmer marinade in a large kettle for ten minutes.
- Add the chicken legs and water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender, about forty minutes.
- Skim the surface of the broth as foam appears.
- Remove the chicken and strain the broth, discarding the vegetables.
- Return the broth to the kettle and add carrots and pumpkin.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Next add plantains and yams and cook for 20 minutes more.
- Then add cabbage and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Return the chicken to the kettle and heat thoroughly.