Makes 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup Sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon brandy extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup finely shredded coconut
- Combine cornstarch, 2/3 cup Sugar and salt.
- Stir in 1-1/2 cups milk. Cook until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Stir in rice. Beat egg yolks slightly; add remaining 1/2 cup milk to eggs.
- Stir into hot rice mixture. Add flavoring and nuts. Pour into six well-buttered 5-ounce custard cups.
- Set cups in shallow pan. Pour hot water around them 1 inch deep.
- Bake at 350 degrees about 30 minutes, or until set. Cool slightly.
- Unmold and place on greased baking sheet.
- Beat egg whites with remaining 1/3 cup Sugar until stiff but not dry.
- Spread on top and sides of custards. Sprinkle lightly with coconut.
- Return to oven and bake about 5 minutes longer or until flecked with brown.