Makes 6 servings
- 2 cups sliced leeks (about 4 medium leeks)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup uncooked rice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon herbes de Provence or thyme
- 2 medium avocados
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup half and half
- Wash, trim and quarter leeks, removing most of the green stalk.
- Soak in cold water 20 minutes.
- Rinse well and slice.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in large saucepan.
- Add leeks, rice, garlic and herbs.
- Stir, return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered until rice is tender (about 20 minutes).
- With slotted spoon remove 1 cup rice and leeks.
- Cool remaining soup 30 minutes.
- Puree in two batches cooled soup with avocados (reserve ½ of one avocado for garnish).
- Stir in lemon juice and cool completely in refrigerator.
- Just before serving, add half and half.
- To serve, pour soup into bowls and spoon reserved rice in ring around the edge of each bowl.
- Top with slice of avocado.