Commonly known as Bengali kheer in India this recipe is a great dessert or snack for all dosha types.
- 1½ cups water
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup basmati rice
- ½ cup cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 or 2 pinches of saffron
- 1 tsp rosewater
- 2 tbsp pistachios
- Wash rice 3 or 4 cycles until water is nearly clear (very important to wash basmati rice thoroughly to obtain a light fluffy rice otherwise it will be mushy).
- Place uncooked rice and saffron in a 3 quart saucepan, and add water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Add milk and cook 1 hour stirring occasionally.
- When you have a pudding consistency, add sugar and cream.
- Cook for another ½ hour.
- Add rose water and pistachios to serve.