- 1 x 1-tablespoon envelope unflavored gelatin
- 3 eggs, separated
- ⅔ cup sugar, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 x 11-ounce can mandarin orange segments, drained
- whipped cream for garnish
- chopped candied orange peel for garnish
- mandarin orange segments for garnish
- Soften gelatin in ½ cup water.
- Beat egg yolks with ⅓ cup sugar and salt; gradually beat in milk.
- Cook over hot water in double boiler, stirring constantly, until mixture coats a spoon.
- Remove from heat and add softened gelatin, stirring until dissolved.
- Add rice and vanilla; chill.
- Beat egg whites with remaining ⅓ cup sugar until stiff but not dry.
- Fold into rice mixture.
- Arrange 3 to 4 orange segments in 6 to 8 greased individual molds or custard cups.
- Fill with rice mixture; chill until firm.
- To serve, unmold onto dessert plates and garnish with whipped cream, orange peel and orange segments.