Makes 6 servings.
- 5 Apples, pared, cored, and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup flour
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped nut meats (optional)
- Combine Apples and lemon juice in saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 5 minutes or until Apples are fork tender.
- Combine rice, Apples, 1/2 cup Sugar, cinnamon and salt in buttered shallow baking dish.
- Mix flour and remaining 1/2 cup Sugar. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in nuts, if desired. Sprinkle over rice mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees 30 minutes.
- Serve warm topped with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.