- 450g (1lb) rhubarb
- 30ml (2 tbsp) soft brown sugar
- 30ml (2 tbsp) water
- 100g (4oz) self raising flour
- 100g (4oz) wholemeal flour
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground ginger
- Pinch salt
- 50g (2oz) margarine
- 25g (1oz) caster sugar
- 1 egg + 75ml (5 tbsp) milk
- Slightly soften fruit in water and brown sugar. Transfer to casserole dish, leave to cool.
- Sieve together flours, salt and ground ginger. Rub fat into flour until it resembles breadcrumbs, stir in Sugar.
- Add beaten egg and enough milk to give soft dough.
- Turn onto floured board and knead lightly.
- Roll out to 1cm (1/4 in) thickness and cut into rounds using 5cm (2in) cutter.
- Arrange scones on top of fruit overlapping slightly. Brush with little milk to glaze.
- Bake: Conventional Oven preheated, 190C 30-35 mins (Gas Oven preheat Mark 5 shelf 2 30 mins)