Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Prep Time: n. a.
Cook time: 50 - 60 minutes
Serves: n. a.
Throw what you know about rhubarb out the window. This recipe is sweet to the palate, using sugar and strawberry Jell-O to offset the acidity of the rhubarb. A splendid streusel topping and a buttery pastry crust round out this dessert. This tastes best when still slightly warm; serve with frozen custard, vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream. Make sure to have plenty of coffee available for your guests - this is just one of those "gotta have coffee with it" desserts!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 3 cups raw sliced rhubarb
- 1 package strawberry Jell-O
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ½ cup flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Cream the butter, then stir in the egg and milk.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Pat the pastry into the bottom of a lightly greased 10" square pan. Spread the rhubarb over the pastry and sprinkle with the gelatin.
- Top with the streusel mixture, then bake at 375 °F for 50 - 60 minutes.
- To make the streusel: mix the melted butter, ½ cup flour, sugar, and the cinnamon together until it becomes crumbly. The largest pieces shouldn't be any bigger than the size of peas.
- You can also make this dessert in a 13 x 9" pan. You MUST double the pastry recipe, as the original recipe is not enough to cover a 13 x 9". However, the rhubarb and streusel amounts can remain the same.