Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil, preferably canola oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- ¼ cup skim milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1½ lb (5 cups) rhubarb, trimmed and cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp all-purpose white flour
- Set oven rack at lowest level, and preheat to 375 °F.
- Lightly oil a 9-inch glass pie plate, or coat it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Set aside.
- Stir together flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat, swirling it in the pan for about 30 seconds, until light brown.
- Pour into a small bowl, and set aside to cool.
- Stir in oil.
- Using a fork, slowly stir butter-oil mixture into flour until mixture is crumbly.
- Gradually stir in enough ice water, about 1 to 2 tablespoons, so that dough holds together.
- Press dough into a flattened disk.
- Place 2 sheets of plastic wrap overlapping by 2 inches on work surface.
- Place pastry in center, and cover with 2 more overlapping sheets of plastic wrap.
- With a rolling pin, roll dough into a circle about 12 inches round.
- Remove the top sheets, and invert the dough over the prepared pie plate.
- Carefully peel away remaining plastic wrap.
- Fold edges under at rim, and crimp.
- Chill pastry while you prepare filling.
- Beat together sugar and butter in a mixing bowl until well mixed.
- Beat in egg, egg whites, milk and vanilla until well blended.
- In another bowl, toss rhubarb with flour.
- Stir rhubarb into egg mixture.
- Turn filling into crust-lined pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake for about 1¼ hours, or until filling is firm.
- Remove from oven, and let cool to room temperature before adding meringue.
- Position rack in center of oven, and preheat to 375 °F.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy.
- Add cream of tartar, and beat on high speed just until soft peaks form.
- While beating egg whites, gradually add sugar.
- Beat mixture until whites are stiff and glossy.
- Spread meringue over pie filling, making sure that it touches edge of crust all around.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until top is lightly browned.
- Let cool on a rack for 1 hour before serving.