- 1/4 lb butter
- 1 c Sugar, brown, light
- 1 egg
- 1 c Cooked rhubarb, drained **
- 2 c flour
- 1/4 ts salt
- 1 ts baking soda
- 1 ts nutmeg, grated
- 1 ts cinnamon
- 1/2 ts Ground cloves
- 3 T crystallized ginger; finely chopped (opt)
- 1/2 c walnuts; chopped
- 1 c Raisins
To cook rhubarb:
- Use a proportion of 4 cups sliced rhubarb cut in 1/2-inch pieces to 1 cup Sugar.
- Toss the rhubarb and Sugar 1/2-inch pieces to 1 cup Sugar.
- Toss the rhubarb and Sugar together and let steep overnight (you will be amazed at how much juice the rhubarb gives off).
- Pour off 3/4 cup of the liquid and use for a drink.
- Cook the rhubarb slices in the remaining until just tender but still holding their shathe remaining until just tender but still holding their shape, less than 5 minutes.
- The rhubarb is ready to eat as is, to use in other recipes, or to freeze in containers.
- cream the butter and Sugar together.
- Add the egg and beat until light, then stir in the rhubarb.
- Stir the flour, salt, baking soda, and spices together and toss until thoroughly mixed.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the rhubarb mixture until the two are blended, then fold in the optional ginger, the walnuts, and the Raisins.
- Drop the batter by the tablespoonful onto greased baking sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart, and bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 12 minutes, until lightly browned at the edges.