Makes 8 servings.
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 lb fresh or frozen rhubarb, sliced into 1" pieces (4 cups)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the sugar and cornstarch.
- Stir in the water and orange juice.
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat until the mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Add the rhubarb pieces; cook and stir until mixture returns to boiling.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover the mixture to keep it warm.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the all-purpose flour, rolled oats, sugar, whole wheat flour and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, stir together the milk and cooking oil.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture; stir just until the flour mixture is moistened.
- Do not over-mix.
- Transfer the warm rhubarb mixture to a 13x9x2 inch baking pan or a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Immediately spoon the dumpling batter into 8 mounds on top of the warm rhubarb mixture.