This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Hunter Estate in Waxahachie, Texas in 1994.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- ½ cup chopped apple wood smoked bacon
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves very finely chopped
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup diced red bell peppers
- 2 cups sliced crookneck squash
- ½ cup shaved asiago cheese
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped thyme leaves
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat broiler.
- In medium ovenproof skillet add diced bacon and cook over medium heat high heat until crisp.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon bacon drippings.
- Add onion, garlic, bell peppers and squash then cook 5 minutes.
- Whisk together eggs, ⅓ cup of the cheese and thyme.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add egg mixture to bacon vegetable mixture and cook stirring occasionally for 6 minutes.
- Stir in the roasted bell peppers and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Broil about 4 inches from the heat until cheese is bubbling.
- Cut into wedges and serve with the salsa along the side.