Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Stuffed potato fritters
- 2 pounds of white potatoes (peeled washed and cut up into quarters.)
- 1 package of sazón or 1 teaspoon achiote powder
- ½ stick of salted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1½ cups of meat filling
Meat filling Edit
- 1 lb ground meat
- 2 oz chopped cooking ham
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 medium garlic clove (a pilonazo)
- ¼ tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 – 8 chopped olives
- 1 tsp capers
- 1 envelope of sazón
- 1 x 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp sofrito
- 8 – 10 chopped prunes (optional)
- 2 tsp raisins (optional)
- Place potatoes in a pot with a teaspoon of salt and cold water make sure that the pot is large enough so that the water will cover the potatoes.
- Bring to a high boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Allow to cook until the potatoes can be pierced with a fork easily.
- Drain all the water and mash potatoes.
- Blend in butter, cornstarch and eggs.
- Place mixture in a clean bowl, and cover with a clean towel allow to rest and come to room temperature.
- Dust your hands with a little cornstarch.
- Place a kitchen spoon of the Potato mixture on the palm of your hand.
Meat filling Edit
- In a deep pot, brown the ground meat.
- Drain most of the grease and add garlic, ham, oregano, vinegar, salt, olives, capers, sazón, sofrito and tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover the pot.
- Cook for 15 minutes covered.
- Uncover and cook another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Make a pocket in the center of the mixture and put a tablespoon of the meat mixture into the pocket.
- Fold the mixture over and then shape it into a ball, making sure that the meat filling is completely covered.
- Remember to keep your hands dusted with the cornstarch this will keep the Potato mixture from sticking all over your hands.
- Continue making the balls and set aside, it would be a good idea to place them in the refrigerator so that they wont get soft and mushy.
- Place enough oil or shorting in a deep fryer to cover the balls for deep-frying.Stir until foam.
- Bring the deep fryer up to heat and place balls one at a time. Make sure not to crowd the fryer, you need enough room to be able turn the balls so that that they will not break while frying.
- Fry until golden brown, remove and allow to drain on a paper towel.
- Serve while still hot.