Stuffed potato fritters
- 2 pounds of white potatoes (peeled washed and cut up into quarters.)
- 1 package of sazón or 1 teaspoon achiote powder
- ½ stick of salted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1½ cups of meat filling
Meat filling Edit
- 1 lb ground meat
- 2 oz chopped cooking ham
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 medium garlic clove (a pilonazo)
- ¼ tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 – 8 chopped olives
- 1 tsp capers
- 1 envelope of sazón
- 1 x 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp sofrito
- 8 – 10 chopped prunes (optional)
- 2 tsp raisins (optional)
- Place potatoes in a pot with a teaspoon of salt and cold water make sure that the pot is large enough so that the water will cover the potatoes.
- Bring to a high boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Allow to cook until the potatoes can be pierced with a fork easily.
- Drain all the water and mash potatoes.
- Blend in butter, cornstarch and eggs.
- Place mixture in a clean bowl, and cover with a clean towel allow to rest and come to room temperature.
- Dust your hands with a little cornstarch.
- Place a kitchen spoon of the Potato mixture on the palm of your hand.
Meat filling Edit
- In a deep pot, brown the ground meat.
- Drain most of the grease and add garlic, ham, oregano, vinegar, salt, olives, capers, sazón, sofrito and tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover the pot.
- Cook for 15 minutes covered.
- Uncover and cook another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Make a pocket in the center of the mixture and put a tablespoon of the meat mixture into the pocket.
- Fold the mixture over and then shape it into a ball, making sure that the meat filling is completely covered.
- Remember to keep your hands dusted with the cornstarch this will keep the Potato mixture from sticking all over your hands.
- Continue making the balls and set aside, it would be a good idea to place them in the refrigerator so that they wont get soft and mushy.
- Place enough oil or shorting in a deep fryer to cover the balls for deep-frying.Stir until foam.
- Bring the deep fryer up to heat and place balls one at a time. Make sure not to crowd the fryer, you need enough room to be able turn the balls so that that they will not break while frying.
- Fry until golden brown, remove and allow to drain on a paper towel.
- Serve while still hot.