Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
In Romanian: Sarmale cu varza dulce
- 1 large cabbage
- 1¾ lb / 750 g ground meat (mixture of pork and beef is recommended)
- 4 large onions
- 2 tablespoons rice
- 1 bread slice
- 3 tablespoons lard
- 5 - 6 tomatoes or 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- chopped dill
- 1 qt / 1 l Borscht
- sour cream
- Grind the meat with the crustless bread slice (previously soaked and squeezed dry) and a raw onion. Place in a bowl and mix with rice, dill, pepper, salt and finely chopped Onion slightly fried in two tablespoons of lard.
- Mix everything well. Core the cabbage with a sharp thin knife and then blanch it with borsh. Then carefully remove the cabbage leaves, one by one, so that they do not tear.
- Cut larger leaves in 2 or 3 and then place a little meat in each cabbage piece and roll in. The smaller the rolls are, the tastier they are.
- Place a layer of rolls in the pan (take a deep one), then cover with a layer of chopped (julienned) cabbage, then a layer of thinly sliced tomatoes. Do this layering until all the rolls are made.
- The last layer must be tomato slices or add tomato sauce. Add a heaping tablespoon of lard, pour the borscht and let simmer on top of the range for 30 minutes.
- Then place in the oven so that the liquid is reduced.
- Serve with sour cream.