Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Yields 6 servings, each one equal to ½ cup
- 2 cups dry pinto beans
- 6 cups water
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup liquid from the cooked beans
- Clean the beans. Leave them to soak overnight. Drain.
- In a medium pan, put soaked beans, water, onion, garlic powder and olive oil.
- Cook over medium heat for 2½ hours or until beans are tender.
- Mash 3 cups of cooked beans in large heavy skillet.
- Add 1 cup bean cooking liquid.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and the desired consistency.
Nutritional information Edit
Per ½ cup serving:
- Calories 120 | Calories from Fat 10 | Total Fat 1 g | Cholesterol 0 mg | Sodium 200 mg | Carbohydrate 22 g | Dietary Fiber 7 g | Protein 7 g
- Exchange 1 starch | 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Units 1 – 1.5