Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- From: 1,001 Recipes For People with Diabetes by Surrey Books
- Yield: 6 servings (about ½ cup each)
- 1¼ cups dried pinto beans
- vegetable cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash and sort beans, discarding any stones.
- Cover beans with 2 inches water in large saucepan; heat to boiling and boil, uncovered, 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 1 hour.
- Drain beans; cover with 2 inches water and heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until beans are tender 1½ to 2 hours.
- Drain, reserving 2 cups liquid.
- Spray large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot.
- Saute onion until tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup beans and 1 cup reserved liquid to skillet; cook over high heat, mashing beans until almost smooth with end of meat mallet or potato masher.
- Add half the remaining beans and liquid; continue cooking, mashing beans.
- Repeat with remaining beans and liquid.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (⅙ of recipe):
- 106 Calories | 0.4g Fat | 0mg Cholesterol | 2mg Sodium | 6.1g Protein | 20g Carbs
- Diabetic Exchanges: 1½ bread