Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- From: 1,001 Recipes For People with Diabetes by Surrey Books
- Yield: 6 servings (about ½ cup each)
- 1¼ cups dried pinto beans
- vegetable cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash and sort beans, discarding any stones.
- Cover beans with 2 inches water in large saucepan; heat to boiling and boil, uncovered, 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 1 hour.
- Drain beans; cover with 2 inches water and heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until beans are tender 1½ to 2 hours.
- Drain, reserving 2 cups liquid.
- Spray large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot.
- Saute onion until tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup beans and 1 cup reserved liquid to skillet; cook over high heat, mashing beans until almost smooth with end of meat mallet or potato masher.
- Add half the remaining beans and liquid; continue cooking, mashing beans.
- Repeat with remaining beans and liquid.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (⅙ of recipe):
- 106 Calories | 0.4g Fat | 0mg Cholesterol | 2mg Sodium | 6.1g Protein | 20g Carbs
- Diabetic Exchanges: 1½ bread