This is a great holiday twist on those chocolate-swirled marbled cake batters we've loved for years. It's a super-quick recipe that starts with two mixes, stirs in a few clever ingredients, such as buttermilk, cocoa, and cider vinegar, and yields a terrific cake with make-from-scratch red velvet flavor.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Southern Living 1998 Holiday Entertaining
- Prep: 15 minutes | Bake: 25 minutes
- Makes 1 x 3-layer cake
- 1 (18¼ oz) box white cake mix (such as Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Classic white cake mix)
- 3 egg whites
- 1⅓ cups buttermilk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 (9 oz) box yellow cake mix (such as Jiffy Golden yellow cake mix)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1½ tbsp cocoa
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp liquid red food coloring
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- Peppermint-Cream Cheese Frosting
- Holiday Trees
- 6 (5-inch) red and white candy canes, crushed
- 12 (5-inch) green and white candy canes broken
- 12 round peppermint candies
- Beat white cake mix and next 3 ingredients according to package directions.
- Beat yellow cake mix and next 6 ingredients according to package directions.
- Spoon red batter alternately with white batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Swirl batter gently with a knife.
- Bake at 350°F for 22 – 25 minutes until a wooden pick comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread peppermint-cream cheese frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- Garnish, if desired, and serve within 2 hours.
- Cake may be chilled up to 2 days or frozen up to 1 month.
- If cake is frozen thaw completely before garnishing to prevent crushed candy from running.
- Do not refrigerate after garnishing.