Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ⅓ cup sourdough bread cubes
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded, deribbed and diced
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil, + basil sprigs for garnish
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup shredded fontina cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 10-inch round baking dish.
- In a 10-inch skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil, add the garlic and bread cubes, and shake the pan until the bread is thoroughly coated and lightly toasted, about 2 minutes; turn out of the pan.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat and saute the onion and peppers until soft, about 5 minutes; let cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs just until blended and mix in the parsley, basil, salt, pepper and sauteed vegetables.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with the croutons and cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until set.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, garnished with basil sprigs.
Nutritional information Edit
- Calories 211 | Fat 15g | Carbs 9g | Sodium 222g | Fiber 1g