This spicy and sweet, sour and salty sauce is everything that's awesome about Brown Sauce, hot sauce, and ketchup, without feeling as kitschy as any of them.
Oh, and it has tasty roasted pepper bits!
- 1.5 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 baking apple, diced
- 1 quince, diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 0.5 cups water
- 0.5 cups sugar
- 2 ancho pepper
- 0.5 cups vinegar
- Add bell peppers, apples, quince, lemon juice, water, and sugar in a lidded 2 quart saucepan and cook over medium heat until all bits are soft (about 30-45 minutes)
- While that cooks, roast or grill anchos - I used my electric grill for this.
- Place anchos in paper bag to cool. Once cool, remove skin, dice and set aside
- Puree softened pepper and fruit mix in blender. Over a spouted vessel, fill your jam bag with purée, or use cheesecloth or coffee filters in a strainer to strain out the solids.
- Mix strained puree with skinned, diced anchos and vinegar. Salt to taste. Pour into sterilized jars and process as normal for jam/jelly. Makes about a pint and a half, or three short mason jars.