- Rinse and sort the beans to remove hard beans or rocks.
- Cover with water and begin to cook over low heat.
- In a skillet, saute the sausage with vegetables and seasonings until tender.
- Skim and discard the fat and add the meat mixture to the beans.
- Cook over low to medium heat for 1½ to 2 hours, adding salt as necessary.
- When the beans are tender (add water if they become too dry or thick), take out one cup, mash and return to the pot to make the mixture creamy.
- Before serving, add a stick of butter.
- Serve over fluffy rice and top with chopped raw green onions for a delicious touch.