Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Makes 10 servings
- 1 cup dry red beans
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage, cut into ½-inch slices
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 x 28-ounce can peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- ½ cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- Wash beans.
- Soak beans in water overnight (or, for quick soak method, bring beans and hot water to boil and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand 1 hour).
- Brown sausage in large saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon fat.
- Add onions and garlic to pan; cook until tender.
- Add beans and soaking liquid, salt, marjoram, and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer 1½ hours, or until beans are almost tender.
- Drain and chop tomatoes, reserving liquid.
- Add tomatoes, reserved liquid, and rice to beans.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover; simmer 10 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Add celery and green pepper; cover and simmer an additional 15 minutes, stirring once or twice, until rice is tender.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve with warm corn bread, if desired.