Featured for the Fourth! When fresh tomatoes are in season, I could literally live on this salad. The flavors just “sing!” and the colors are just right for the patriotic 4th (or 14th) of July.
- From Chef June Jacobs,sdapted from Pierre Franey
- Contributed by SF&SC Y-Group
- Makes 4 servings
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, about 1¼ pounds
- 2 medium-sized red onions, about ¾ pound (or you could choose one of the infamous sweet onions)
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ pound blue cheese, at room temperature (I love Point Reyes blue from Marin County, CA)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives and/or basil (would you believe tarragon?)
- Core the tomatoes and use a serrated knife to make thick slices.
- Peel the onions and slice them about ¼-inch thick.
- Arrange alternate and slightly overlapping sliced tomatoes and onions on serving plates.
- Combine the vinegar, garlic, oil, salt and pepper.
- Blend well with a wire whisk.
- Crumble the cheese and add it into the dressing (which should be lumpy).
- Pour the dressing over the tomatoes and onions, sprinkle with the fresh herbs and serve.