Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Featured for the Fourth! When fresh tomatoes are in season, I could literally live on this salad. The flavors just “sing!” and the colors are just right for the patriotic 4th (or 14th) of July.
- From Chef June Jacobs,sdapted from Pierre Franey
- Contributed by SF&SC Y-Group
- Makes 4 servings
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, about 1¼ pounds
- 2 medium-sized red onions, about ¾ pound (or you could choose one of the infamous sweet onions)
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ pound blue cheese, at room temperature (I love Point Reyes blue from Marin County, CA)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives and/or basil (would you believe tarragon?)
- Core the tomatoes and use a serrated knife to make thick slices.
- Peel the onions and slice them about ¼-inch thick.
- Arrange alternate and slightly overlapping sliced tomatoes and onions on serving plates.
- Combine the vinegar, garlic, oil, salt and pepper.
- Blend well with a wire whisk.
- Crumble the cheese and add it into the dressing (which should be lumpy).
- Pour the dressing over the tomatoes and onions, sprinkle with the fresh herbs and serve.