- Place vegetable oil and onions in a 6 or 7 quart dutch oven or black cast iron pot.
- Cook onions until they are dark brown stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- When the onions are a dark brown add the bell pepper, celery Tony’s seasoning and sugar.
- Stir often to avoid sticking and burning.
- When the bell pepper starts to get tender, add the sausage and 1 cup of water.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes add the shrimp, and cook on a medium fire for 10 minutes, or until the shrimp become pink in color.
- After the shrimp are pink, add the remaining 3 cups of water, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the vegetable oil from the top of the water and remove from the pot.
- Then add the clean rice, turn up the fire to high and bring to a boil.
- After coming to a boil stir once to make sure the bottom hasn’t started to stick and then cover and simmer for twenty-five minutes.
- Note: after covering the pot and starting to simmer do not take the cover off until the 25 minutes are up.
- After 25 minutes stir and remove from fire.