- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper or 1 cubanelle pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium-sized yellow-skinned onion, chopped
- 1 small eggplant, peeled or skin on and diced
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, coarsely diced
- 20 kalamata black olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp capers, drained
- coarse salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 x 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- handful chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ lb rigatoni pasta, cooked until al dente
- 3 oz pine nuts, toasted until golden
- Heat garlic and crushed pepper in oil in a deep skillet or pot over medium heat until garlic sizzles.
- Add peppers, onion, eggplant, zucchini, olives, capers, salt and pepper.
- Cover pan, reduce heat to medium-low and cook vegetables down, stirring occasionally, until eggplant begins to break down, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and parsley, and heat through.
- Toss with pasta, and top with toasted pine nuts.