Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 1 cup small, dried fava beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 2 pounds Lamb shoulder chops, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 8 Spanish saffron threads, toasted and crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 10 cups water
- 10 tomatoes (about 3 pounds), peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 30 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs, tied with cotton string
- 15 fresh cilantro sprigs, tied with cotton string
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed, picked free of impurities, and drained
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup crushed vermicelli, orzo oracini di pepe
- salt to taste
- lemon wedges for serving
- To toast saffron threads, place in a small nonstick skillet and stir constantly over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, then crush between your fingers or pound in a mortar with a pinch of salt.
- Skin the fava beans by squeezing each one between your thumb and forefinger.
- Set aside.
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil and sauté the onions and meat until the onions are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the saffron, turmeric, ginger and 8 cups of the water.
- Bring to a rolling boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium, and add the fava beans.
- Cover and cook until the beans are tender, 1 hour to 1½ hours (depending on the age of the beans).
- In a blender or food processor, coarsely chop the tomatoes, parsley and cilantro.
- Add the tomato mixture, lentils, pepper and cinnamon to the beans.
- Cover and cook until the lentils are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, bring the remaining 2 cups of water to a boil.
- Cook the pasta until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Drain and add to the soup. Stir to blend.
- Season with salt.
- Heat through and ladle the soup into individual bowls.
- Top with fresh cilantro and serve immediately with wedges of lemon.