This special Ramadan dish will remind you of Gyros (Döner) with yogurt and is so easy to prepare. You can start making this, 30 minutes before dinner. Use of garlic is one the best ways to make you want to drink water, which restores the liquid in a body from which a fasting person refrains during the day.
- 1 pound of ground Beef or Lamb
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped in cubes
- 2 tbsp. margarine
- 3 cups of yogurt
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4-5 pita bread, cut in squares
- salt, pepper and red pepper flakes
- fresh mint to garnish
- Cook the onion for a couple of minutes than add the ground meat and salt and black pepper. Stirring often, cook the meat.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 5 more minutes. Set these aside; keep the lid on. Mix yogurt with garlic well, with a fork.
- Keep it in room temperature. In a saucepan, sauté red pepper flakes in margarine, for 3 minutes. Warm up the bread in the oven for 5 minutes. On each dinner plate, place pita squares and sprinkle it with 2 tbsp. warm water right away; spread the sautéed meat over the bread.
- Then spread some garlic yogurt on top. Pour over the sautéed red pepper to garnish. Sprinkle some mint on top. Serve hot.