Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Ethnicity - Punjabi, North Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- 2 cup(s) red kidney beans soaked overnight
- 4 cups water
- 2 medium Onion(s) finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 1 tablespoon(s) each of finely chopped ginger and garlic
- ½ teaspoon(s) each of asafoetida and turmeric powders
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoon(s) red chilli powder
- 2 big tomato(es) finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) each of hot spice mix (garam masala) and cumin powders
- 2 tablespoon(s) coriander powder
- 3 tablespoons oil
- salt to taste
- Drain the soaked red kidney beans and wash them well.
- Place them in a pressure cooker (for speedy cooking).
- Add the water and some salt. Close the cooker and cook on high level.
- After one whistle, cook on low level for about 10 minutes or till the beans are soft.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan on medium level and crackle the cumin seeds.
- Add the bay leaves (optional), asafoetida and chopped ginger-garlic.
- Fry briefly. Add the chopped onions and fry till they are golden brown.
- Add all the spice powders except hot spice mix. Add the chopped tomatoes.
- Fry till the oil separates. Add the cooked red kidney beans along with its stock, sprinkle salt, mix well and cook on medium level for about 15 minutes.
- Add the hot spice mix. Cover and cook on medium level for about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.