Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Makes about 6 dozen cookies
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup shortening (half butter)
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon soda dissolved in 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup moist seedless raisins, chopped or 1 cup currants
- Sift flour, measure, and re-sift 3 times with the spices and salt.
- Cream shortening till soft and smooth, gradually blend in sugar, and add beaten eggs; beat until fluffy and light-colored.
- Stir in soda and water mixture; then add flour mixture in 2 or 3 portions, and stir until well blended after each addition.
- Fold in chopped nuts and raisins or currants.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls, at least 2 inches apart, on lightly greased baking sheet, and bake in a moderate oven (375°F) for 15 minutes.