Makes about 6 dozen cookies
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup shortening (half butter)
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon soda dissolved in 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup moist seedless raisins, chopped or 1 cup currants
- Sift flour, measure, and re-sift 3 times with the spices and salt.
- Cream shortening till soft and smooth, gradually blend in sugar, and add beaten eggs; beat until fluffy and light-colored.
- Stir in soda and water mixture; then add flour mixture in 2 or 3 portions, and stir until well blended after each addition.
- Fold in chopped nuts and raisins or currants.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls, at least 2 inches apart, on lightly greased baking sheet, and bake in a moderate oven (375°F) for 15 minutes.