Makes 8 servings
- 8 partially baked and cooled tart pastry shells*
- 1 cup cooked rice**
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup seedless Raisins
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg for garnish
- sweetened whipped cream for garnish (optional)
- sliced fresh fruit for garnish (optional)
- Combine rice, Sugar, Raisins, salt and milk in medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until thick and creamy, about 25 to 35 minutes.
- Beat egg whites and yolk in small bowl.
- Remove pudding from heat; add small amount of hot rice mixture to beaten eggs.
- Return to saucepan; stir in milk and extracts.
- Pour equal amounts into partially baked pastry shells; sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Place tarts on baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees 25 to 35 minutes, or until pudding is set.
- Cool on wire rack one hour. Use knife to loosen edges and unmold.
- Serve at room temperature. Serve with whipped cream and fruit, if desired.
- Refrigerate remaining tarts.