Milk, Evaporated by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 4 cups day-old white bread cubes
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 eggs (or ½ cup egg mix + ½ cup water)
- 1 (13-ounce) can evaporated milk
- ½ cup apple juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- caramel sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 11x7 inch baking dish.
- Combine bread, apple, and raisins in large bowl.
- Set aside.
- Beat eggs in medium bowl.
- Stir in evaporated milk, apple juice, sugar, and cinnamon; mix well.
- Pour egg mixture over bread mixture, pressing bread into egg mixture; let stand 10 minutes until bread absorbs liquid.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until set and apples are tender.
- Serve with warm caramel sauce.