- Rinse the oxtail and place in a large saucepan with the lemon juice and cachaca.
- Cover the oxtail with water and boil for about 10 minutes.
- Place the oxtail in a colander to discard the water and set aside the oxtail.
- Combine in the saucepan the ½ cup of oil, garlic, onions, salt and fry the previously cooked oxtail until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the excess of fat.
- This is the “refogar” process.
- Then pour water slowly while cooking to make a sauce.
- Combine the bay leaves, carrot and celery and red pepper if you like.
- Add water enough to partially cover the oxtail and make a sauce.
- Taste to see if you need to add more salt.
- And finish cooking, the meat should be tender but still attached to the bones.