Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This spicy salad with little jewels of dried apricot in the mix would be welcome at lunch or a simple weekday dinner. You can prepare the salad and dressing ahead of time.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Eating Well This Week
- Formatted by Chupa Babi in MC: 06.26.07
- Active time: 30 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
- Makes 4 servings
- 1 cup quinoa 
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup Moroccan-spiced Lemon Dressing, divided
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 8 cups baby spinach
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted 
- Toast quinoa in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until it becomes aromatic and begins to crackle, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a fine sieve and rinse thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until golden, about 1 minute.
- Add apricots and the quinoa; continue cooking, stirring often, until the quinoa has dried out and turned light golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add water and salt; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the quinoa is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make Moroccan-spiced Lemon Dressing.
- Transfer the quinoa to a medium bowl and toss with ⅓ cup of the dressing.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, add tomatoes and onion to the quinoa; toss to coat.
- Toss spinach with the remaining ⅓ cup dressing in a large bowl.
- Divide the spinach among 4 plates.
- Mound the quinoa salad on the spinach and sprinkle with almonds.
- ↑ Quinoa is available in most natural-foods stores and the natural-foods sections of many supermarkets. Toasting this grain before simmering enhances its flavor.
- ↑ Prepare through Step 8. Cover and refrigerate the quinoa and dressing separately for up to 2 days.
Nutritional information Edit
- 325 calories | 10 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono) | 0 mg cholesterol | 51 g carbohydrate | 11 g protein | 7 g fiber | 214 mg sodium.
- Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value) | Vitamin C (50% dv) | Folate (32% dv) | Iron (30% dv) | Potassium (25% dv).
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3
- Exchanges: 2½ starch | 2 vegetable | ½ lean protein | 1½ fat
- 7 pts