This spicy salad with little jewels of dried apricot in the mix would be welcome at lunch or a simple weekday dinner. You can prepare the salad and dressing ahead of time.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Eating Well This Week
- Formatted by Chupa Babi in MC: 06.26.07
- Active time: 30 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
- Makes 4 servings
- 1 cup quinoa 
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup Moroccan-spiced Lemon Dressing, divided
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 8 cups baby spinach
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted 
- Toast quinoa in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until it becomes aromatic and begins to crackle, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a fine sieve and rinse thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until golden, about 1 minute.
- Add apricots and the quinoa; continue cooking, stirring often, until the quinoa has dried out and turned light golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add water and salt; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the quinoa is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make Moroccan-spiced Lemon Dressing.
- Transfer the quinoa to a medium bowl and toss with ⅓ cup of the dressing.
- Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, add tomatoes and onion to the quinoa; toss to coat.
- Toss spinach with the remaining ⅓ cup dressing in a large bowl.
- Divide the spinach among 4 plates.
- Mound the quinoa salad on the spinach and sprinkle with almonds.
- ↑ Quinoa is available in most natural-foods stores and the natural-foods sections of many supermarkets. Toasting this grain before simmering enhances its flavor.
- ↑ Prepare through Step 8. Cover and refrigerate the quinoa and dressing separately for up to 2 days.
Nutritional information Edit
- 325 calories | 10 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono) | 0 mg cholesterol | 51 g carbohydrate | 11 g protein | 7 g fiber | 214 mg sodium.
- Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value) | Vitamin C (50% dv) | Folate (32% dv) | Iron (30% dv) | Potassium (25% dv).
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3
- Exchanges: 2½ starch | 2 vegetable | ½ lean protein | 1½ fat
- 7 pts