Vegetable of the Month: Root Vegetables by the US Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, public domain government resource—original source of article
- Serves: 4
- 2 medium parsnips or rutabagas, peeled and cut in ¾" x ¼" strips
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut in ¾’ x ¼" strips
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- Place in steamer basket over boiling water and steam for 15 minutes, lifting cover periodically during steaming to release steam and acids that can contribute to bitterness.
- Check for desired tenderness at 15 minutes; cook longer if softer texture is desired.
- Remove from steamer basket, empty water from pan, return parsnips and carrots to pan and season lightly with olive oil, salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Shake or stir gently to coat with seasonings.
- Serve immediately or leave partially covered to conserve heat until ready to serve.