Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Vegetable of the Month: Root Vegetables by the US Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, public domain government resource—original source of article
- Serves: 4
- 2 medium parsnips or rutabagas, peeled and cut in ¾" x ¼" strips
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut in ¾’ x ¼" strips
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- Place in steamer basket over boiling water and steam for 15 minutes, lifting cover periodically during steaming to release steam and acids that can contribute to bitterness.
- Check for desired tenderness at 15 minutes; cook longer if softer texture is desired.
- Remove from steamer basket, empty water from pan, return parsnips and carrots to pan and season lightly with olive oil, salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Shake or stir gently to coat with seasonings.
- Serve immediately or leave partially covered to conserve heat until ready to serve.