Makes 8 servings
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings, butter, or margarine
- 1 x 28-ounce can peeled whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed hot red pepper
- 1 x 10-ounce package frozen cut okra
- 1 quart (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1 pound fish fillets, cut into large pieces
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Cook onion in bacon drippings in large skillet until soft but not brown.
- Add tomatoes, salt and red pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove cover; add okra and broth; continue cooking 15 minutes.
- Add and cook 10 minutes longer.
- Serve in individual soup plates with hot rice.