Garbanzo bean dip
- 1 can of garbanzo (ceci) beans
- 1 medium-sized clove of garlic (or ½ of a big clove)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sesame seed paste (tahina)
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- a pinch of cayenne (red) pepper
- Strain the garbanzo beans, reserving the liquid.
- Put the garbanzo beans and all of the other ingredients in a blender.
- Blend on high for about 20 seconds.
- Turn off the blender and stir the mixture with a spoon.
- Add from the reserved liquid, 1 spoon at a time, just enough to get the mixture to run smoothly in the blender (you will not need to add all of the liquid)
- Run the blender for about 20 seconds after each addition of liquid. The final product should be thick, not runny.
- Spoon into a bowl or plate. Drizzle with more olive oil if desired.
- Serve with grilled meats or spread in sandwiches.
- For a light dinner, serve along-side a plate of finely chopped tossed salad.
- Eat with pita or other soft flat bread, using the bread to grab the hummus dip and salad (without the use of spoon or fork).