This is a quick version of the one-dish meal served in the Caribbean for lunch or dinner.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Www.Cinnamonhearts.Com
- Recipe from: Cocinando para Latinos con Diabetes (Diabetic Cooking for Latinos), by Olga V. Fuste, MS, RD, CDE, 2002 by The American Diabetes Association.
- Makes 10 servings.
- ½ tsp canola oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 oz chorizo, cubed
- 4 oz low-fat ham, cubed
- ½ lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- ½ lb beef stew meat, cubed
- 6 cups water
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- 1 lb potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 (15oz) cans white navy beans with liquid
- ½ lb cabbage, cut into chunks
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Heat oil in large stockpot: brown onion, garlic, and meats for 8 to 10 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
Nutritional information Edit
Sodium Alert! This recipe is not suitable for those on salt-restricted meal plans.
Per (1-cup) serving:
- 256 Calories | 6g Total Fat (2g Sat Fat) | 39mg Cholesterol | 579mg Sodium | 21g Protein | 29g Carbs | 6g Dietary Fiber | 4g Sugars
- Exchanges: 2 Starches | 2 Lean Meats | 1 Fat