Betty Crocker's Cook Book for Boys and girls, out of copyright
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1½ cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix sugar and cocoa in saucepan. Stir in butter, milk, corn syrup.
- Bring to boil. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Take out spoon and set pan in cold water. When you can hold your hand on the bottom of the pan the syrup is cool enough.
- Then, stir in 1½ cups confectioners' sugar and vanilla. You may need to add an additional ½ cup of confectioners' sugar.
- Stir the icing until thick enough to spread. Add more confectioners' sugar or milk if needed.
- To make fudge, add more confectioners' sugar and chopped nuts.